Stephen Gamble, one of the authors of the new biography Dennis Brain: A Life in Music, recently passed along a link to a great website full of additional information on Brain’s father Aubrey. Located here, the site is actually a part of dennisbrain.net, a compendium of various resources on Dennis Brain’s life and career. John Ericson has posted a more detailed review at Horn Matters, which is of course recommended reading. Dr. Gamble has put together some great stuff here, and it makes a nice companion to his new Dennis Brain biography. Speaking of biographies, in our correspondence Dr. Gamble also mentioned a forthcoming project on Aubrey Brain – see his comment below, quoted from this blog comment.
I have an enormous amount of material about Aubrey Brain’s career that is not mentioned on those web pages, including original documents, most of which were actually once in his possession and given to me by a member of the family. I intend to publish a biography (possibly an ebook) some time in the future on Aubrey Brain but can’t give a date for that yet. There’s a lot more to learn about his career but it’s unlikely much personal information will come to light at this distance in time.
This promises to be a fantastic project as well, and I look forward to reading it. Perusing this site got me thinking about other online resources for research on Dennis and Aubrey Brain, so I thought I’d put together a brief list, starting with the sites mentioned above.
- Aubrey Brain (1893-1955): Master of his Instrument
- Wikipedia Article on Dennis Brain and Aubrey Brain
- The Legacy of Dennis Brain (Another tribute website, with a reprint of an article by Michael Meckna from the April 1991 issue of the Horn Call.)
- Dennis Brain biography on the International Horn Society homepage
- Google Image search for “Dennis Brain“
- Dennis Brain on Facebook
- Dennis Brain Tribute by the Philharmonia Orchestra (YouTube video describing the 2007 tribute on the 50th anniversary of Brain’s death.)
- Dennis Brain: Fanfare for the Horn-Player who Blew up a Storm (A related article by Jasper Rees in the The Telegraph.)
- Search for “Dennis Brain” on Horn Matters.com
- Search for “Dennis Brain” on this blog
- Performers page at hornhistory.com
- Brief biography on Dennis Brain by Brian Wise at AllMusic.com
- Another biography on the EMI Classics website
- Dennis Brain’s grave at Hampstead Cemetery in London
- Orchestral recordings by Dennis Brain and chamber/solo recordings by Aubrey Brain at sotone.com
- Information Archive index at hornplayer.net (Simply use your browser’s “find” function to quickly locate the material on Dennis Brain.)
- YouTube video search for “Dennis Brain horn“
- Google video search for “Dennis Brain horn” (Yields slightly different results than the YouTube search.)
That’s all I’ve got for now. If you know of any other useful online resources on Dennis and Aubrey Brain feel free to comment below.